Saturday, August 8, 2009

A deerly held moment for flora and fawn-a


First, I have to apologize for the less-than-stellar photos, but it's worth it. Check out the treat I had tonight!

Two deer -- I presume a mom and baby -- stopped by for a snack of dandelions, clover and buttercups. They love the field that surrounds my home because it's completely indigenous, which to manicured lawn lovers might seem distastefully overgrown. But the indigenous vegetation feeds the flora and fauna (or in this case, fawna) that are native to the region. That alone makes it appealing to me. And the fact that I'm hopeless as a gardener doesn't hurt.

I couldn't risk walking outside to scare them, so you're looking through my windows. The little one came closer went he saw me watching him, gazing intently as if wondering what I was up to.




I didn't even notice this wormhole into the forest until I saw the deer disappear into it. There must be animal-shaped trails all over this place. I don't traipse through there because it's thorny, but these animals are designed to travel through brush.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have MY vote for living on the wild side. Who needs manicured gardens when you can get a visit from Momma Deer and Baby!